On October 23 Riverside participated in the Kankakee County Disaster Exercise. The scenario involved a jet crashing at the Kankakee Valley Airport. Over 400 people participated in the event, including the U.S. Army. The exercise was a huge success and all of our objectives were met. We received a total of 40 victims. Riverside staff “moulaged” the victims in order to provide a more realistic scenario. There were 164 staff members that participated in the exercise. The following objectives were accomplished:
- Activation of the Internal Surge Plan
- First Hospital in Illinois to test Implementation of the Volunteer Credentialing Program- Illinois Helps during an exercise.
- Activation of the Riverside Mass Fatality Plan
- Entry of all victims by Registration Staff into the American Red Cross Patient Connection Program for family reunification.
- Use of interoperable communication devices between County EOC and Riverside: Starcom Radio and Groove.
The After Action critique was conducted on October 27. Several opportunities for improvement were identified. The Emergency Preparedness Committee will continue to update our preparedness procedures.