Well In Mind Self-Care Tip of the Week
7 Ways to Cultivate Intrinsic Motivation
- Rethink Reward. Science has proven that for simple, mechanistic tasks, rewards incentivize us to perform well. Keep in mind that for tasks that require thinking outside the box, reward leads to poor performance.
- A Higher Purpose. When we feel that we are working toward the greater good, or something larger than ourselves, we may have an easier time staying motivated.
- Visualize and Conquer. Visualize a moment in your life when you felt very proud of yourself for an accomplishment.
- Feel capable. The power of “You can do it” has perhaps been diluted over the years. Try “You’re capable,” which speaks not only to the task at hand but your sense of self-worth.
- Stimulate sensory curiosity. Change the environment. We respond to new environment and may be inspired to think outside the box.
- Recognize the cause-and-effect.
- Connect games and learning. Try to make a connection with motivation elsewhere, the two drives are related.