Infection Prevention Around the Holidays
The holidays are right around the corner. Many of us are contemplating celebrations and gatherings with loved ones. While the holidays may look at little different this year, by paying attention to safe practices we can enjoy this festive time and help keep everyone safe.
Set a Plan and Limit Travel
It is important to discuss plans with one another to help promote safe practices. This gives everyone the opportunity to discuss their concerns and a time to develop a plan that everyone can agree to. If public air/ground transportation would be required to have a gathering, consider having a virtual gathering instead.
Safe Practices to Keep in Mind While Gathering
- Hand washing – either with soap and water or using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Disinfect high touch areas – places such as door knobs, light switches and countertops that are often touched by more than one person should be disinfected often
- Maintain social distancing – distancing of at least 6 feet
- Have an outdoor gathering – there is more room to spread out, but if it is too cold to be outside, consider cracking a window or door to help circulate fresh air
- Wear your masks – make sure the masks covers both your nose and mouth – especially when social distancing is difficult
Food Preparation and Distribution
Your best option is to limit shared foods. If food must be shared, plan to have one person be the designated food server. Other options include, having it be a bring your own food gathering or order individually packaged food from a local restaurant.